Max/Min project

Group 45

The project: This years, Maximum/Minimum project for the department of architecture is to redesign the east entrance to the arts and architecture building. We, as a group of five students, are to design an entrance that captures the attention of passerbys while providing a second floor entrance. Pictured below is the project site as it stands currently…

(Pictured: we took four different perspective shots, including a nighttime shot to view the lighting and aire about the area at night.)

The process: The first thing that we as a group did was sit and think… we threw out onto the floor any and every idea that came to mind and debated them for validity, we then began sketching very roughly any idea that had merit so that all of the team members could visualize said ideas. Pictured below are some of those sketches…

(Ideas pictured: courtyard entrance, amphiteatre and courtyard, water feature, abstract teracing)

After doing some rough sketches we decided that the best way to capture the outside audience with this design is to give the building ‘a soul’ in a sense by encorporating sound elements and visual elements that subtly pull a passerby into the area.

As we continued to sketch and talk through ideas of how to achieve this goal Ben, our fifth year member, came up with three problems or thoughts to try to work through…

  1. Convection – how will the way that passersbys walk through the area affect the way they see it.
  2. Reconciliation –how will an observer’s physical view and sensory stimuli affect how he/she views the building as a whole.
  3. Articulation – how will the orientation that creates oddity vs. normalcy of certain aspects of our design affect how/if people stop while passing by, to actually see the area.                                                                                                                                                         (Pictured below is some of the ideas that we had to attempt to deal with these issues)

Process cont… and now it is on to the computers. Using Autocad and Rhinoceros, the more experinced members of my team built 3d models of our ideas in order to work out any details that we had not thought of before…

(Pictured: Ben Wathen (left) builds the major model on rhinoceros while John Battle (right) builds smaller details on Autocad to send to ben in the future.)

Finally… the final thing to do now that we have created our model and worked out all of the details is to present it

Posted in Uncategorized | 1 Comment